Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jungle Love

Music helps me write.
Just about every time I start a new story at work, I put on my headphones and enter the sound-proof chamber.
I learned back at the LTN how valuable music and a set of headphones can be. I worked right next to an old hippie reporter guy who loved the sound of his own voice. I, on the other hand, hated the sound of his raspy smoker's voice.
I embraced the practice of listening to CDs on my computer with headphones so that I could block him out and concentrate on the task at hand.
That routine has been quite handy working in a larger news room with even more conversations going on that I can't help but listen to.
Over the years I discovered the wonders of Pandora and Yahoo! Music for my listening pleasure.
Most days when I put on my headphones I'm getting down to business. I typically listen to a few of the same channels: Adult Alternative, Pop, Country, Coffeehouse.
But yesterday I made a radical decision. I've been a grumpy pants all week at work so I decided to change things up in an effort to hoist me out of my rut.
I put on the 80s. And it worked! I wrote lots of stories and pepped right up.
Now, I can get burned out on the 80s but it seems this week called for those old tunes (the ones that remind me of school, my old Ford and friends whose faces I haven't seen in decades). So I went with it and put the car stereo on the 80s station on my way to work this morning.
It was fabulous! I relived my teen years riding down the highway in my Kia.
Tears for Fears
Billy Idol
Kim Carnes
Pat Benetar
It was a great drive to work - all except for the 18-wheeler that scared the crap out of me as I tried to merge onto the interstate. But some Jungle Love helped me shake off that experience pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment