Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bathroom inspector

My mom teased me for years about my bathroom inspections.
In fact, if I brought it up today, I'm sure she'd chuckle.
Ever since I was a little girl old enough to go to the bathroom on my own, I felt it necessary to come out and report on the conditions. Was it clean? Did it have good-smelling soap? Was it crowded? Was there a sitting room?
I was reminded of my former bathroom reports today when I went to the work bathroom. Our facilities in the newsroom are pretty good. There are four stalls. Someone comes in and cleans them... mmm... I think every day.
All was well until there was a water heater issue. There was leaking and a loss of hot water. Suddenly a sign was stuck on the bathroom door and work guys started walking in and out of the newsroom and the bathroom for days.
Every once in a while the restroom would open back up for business but there was still no hot water.
I finally had to resort to taking the long walk to the bathrooms by advertising. These trips resulted in a few conclusions.
There are a lot of women over there. You never get a moment alone in there!
The floors are dirty. There are often pieces of toilet paper strewn about, and I think it's smaller over there.
I did not enjoy the week of displacement. Not one bit.
Thankfully, things are back in order this week. There is hot water, clean floors and solitude :).
These things may not seem important until they're not there.
Oh, I also realized that I'm still a bathroom reporter. Not only because of my desire to post this entry, but because of a stop me and the husband made last week on our way home from Raleigh.
We stopped at a mall and we both had to go.
I went into this tiny bathroom with one stall. It was FREEZING! There was no lighting over the toilet. The water was cold. I couldn't conduct business in such shabby conditions so I left.
As I was telling The Mister about my experience, he chimed in that his was the same.
I then realized that he didn't think it was worth mentioning. But me? The original bathroom reporter? I was on duty and ready to inform.

1 comment: