Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Not quite the queen

It's been quite an eventful past few days.
Saturday was the celebration of my husband's birth. This was a big to-do (a) because he was turning 40 and (b) because I planned a surprise party.
So I've decided I'm not the queen of the surprise party. I kind of thought I was. But I was mistaken.
I planned this big shindig that included a giant cake, a lengthy guest list, balloons, gallons of chili and the list goes on. The plan also included a moment where I tricked the husband into going to the Parish House that was secretly filled with family and friends all of whom would jump in the air and yell SURPRISE when he walked in the door.
This did not happen.
The secret celebration was extremely hard to pull off. The husband who never plans anything decided to plan his own birthday celebration. He invited our friends to a night on the town - I had already invited said-friends to the real celebration. I had to go around sending messages and explaining the confusion. My busy husband also called ahead to make dinner reservations that I would have to go back and cancel.
But the final bust came when there was a SNAFU reserving the Parish House. The night before the big party I found out that we didn't actually have the building reserved. (I found this out after I had already decorated the joint and locked myself out of the building in the process.)
In the end, I called in a favor, got a room at the Cultural Center, let the husband in on the secret and had a fabulous time.
Sunday we celebrated again because it was the actual birthday. We had tasty seafood and waited for the snow to fall.
It fell.
And fell.
And fell.
Then the ice fell. And froze and froze and froze.
I spent two days working from home in sweatpants and on the couch. It was glorious.
But I also spent that time eating and moving as little as possible.
So today I'm all dressed up... trying to find some stories to write... and excited about going out with one of my girlfriends tonight. And I am totallllyyy thankful we never lost power.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment