Thursday, January 27, 2011

Guilty!

I am sitting in a little dark room. The only window has little lines in it and on the other side is courtroom 4C. This is where the action is in the Gaston County Courthouse, if you ask me.
I'm actually thrilled to be in this little room. This room has comfortable chairs. This room has my computer. And I'm free to use my computer and phone in this room. This room is quiet except the noise you can hear from the hallway and the opening and closing of the door to the men's bathroom.
The room I'm looking at through the window, however, is a different story.
That room is all formal. Everything is made of wood - including the pews that get sooooo uncomfortable after a number of hours let alone several days.
In that room men wear suits and everyone calls each other Ms. So And So and Mr. This And That. Deputies shoot you the evil eye if you misbehave and don't hesitate to take your phone away if it makes a noise.
I, of course, know the rules. So instead I typically am greeted by the deputies with a "good morning, Diane" or perhaps a wink. I like this.
In the courtroom, I feel a bit like a sick voyeur. I know I'm there to do my job, but still. I watch what goes on between the attorneys, the judge, the jurors and the defendant. I also glance at members of the audience and scribble in my notebook from time to time.
Every once in a while I react... often unintentionally. But stunning things are said from that witness stand.
I'm not really a voyeur in life. I've found that I often miss things that other people catch.
For instance, the friendliest convenience store owner in the world - who has sadly vanished from Lincolnton who I suspect is living in Charlotte with his wife and many children. I saw him multiple times a week for months and never realized he was missing fingers. How does that happen? (Really, how did he lose those fingers? And how did I not notice when he made change and handed me my items.)
Thankfully, I think I'm observant when it counts. I try to read my friends' emotions and react accordingly. I pay attention to what my daughter does and says. And I work hard.
And court. It just happens to be one of my favorite parts of my job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment