Monday, January 17, 2011

Fortunate one

Ever feel like the fortunate ones?
It's easy for me to fall into a self induced pity party about things just as much as the next gal. But then you get those glimpses of other people's lives that make you feel fortunate.
As a news reporter I get those a lot. As a news reporter in a bit of a rut, I haven't had a glimpse lately. But as a driver, I saw one last week that for some reason stuck out to me.
I was driving into work. I was stopped on the exit ramp getting onto New Hope when I decided to look around at my surroundings. I spotted this guy walking down the street. Now mind you it was about 30 degrees tops. Ice still on the ground from the weather. He's wearing a pair of blue scrubs, has a bandaged arm and is carrying paperwork.
I tried to think of what this guy's circumstance must be. He clearly wasn't a hospital employee so I'm guessing something terrible happened to his clothes that made him need a donated set of scrubs.
What happened to his arm?
Are there prescriptions in that stack of what I assume is hospital paperwork?
He sure needs a coat... and a ride.
No, I didn't turn right instead of left and give him a ride. I'm not one of those people. I'm one of these people. One who wonders what that guy's deal is. One who feels bad for the scrubs-wearing guy but doesn't do anything to actually assist him. One who continues to think about that guy practically a week later. And one who feels fortunate to think that if something tragic happened tomorrow, I would have clothes and a ride home from the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. I am one of "these people" too. We see a lot of those people too here. I was driving in Montgomery one day and I saw this guy on the side of the road and he just all of a sudden got this mean look and fiercely pointed at me. I wasn't doing anything wrong but I still to this day wonder what I did that made him upset...oh and the "little shrimp boat captain" came about one evening when we were watching Forrest Gump...it just made us laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe
    shrimp boat captain, i tip my hat to thee!

    ReplyDelete